Sunday, October 6, 2013

7 Kinds of people you see in a gym

Well as I write this I cant help but quote one of the many funny lines Chandler has said in the famous series F.R.I.E.N.D.S- “Oh yeah, I'm a gym member. I try to go four times a week, but I've missed the last...twelve hundred times”

And out of the few times I have been in gym, I have seen the 7 kinds of people around:

1.       The Hulk: These are regulars. They take out time from gym and give some time for friends, family and work. They intimidate you. You have just one expression when you see them – ‘wow!’ and one question when you see them ‘how?!’. You don’t want to be them; you can’t be them for sure. Yet you are jealous. They make you nervous when you have to work out near them. They don’t give a damn what others do. They keep working out and never leave before you do.

2.       The Young Gun: He is in awe with the hulk. He wants to be the next hulk. Typically in his late teens or early twenties. You can see him screaming at the top of his vocal cord pulling up one extra rep of that heavy dumbbell which is way out of his league. They make the quarter-lifers realize why they are getting more uncle-ized.

3.       The Seekers: They need expert advice on everything. They talk more than they work out. They are always around the gym staff. They need to know what they should eat, how is the best way to work out etc. They are never satisfied with the answers. They have access to probably more information about working out than the gym staff. If only they worked out as much they talk.

4.       Uncles & Aunties: They are the ones who realize pretty late that they need to be fit. But better late than never. They will run on a threadmill wearing salwar with a nike, they read newspapers while cycling.Yet you have to commend their spirit.

5.       The Time- Passers: They will find all the excuse to not work out. They will talk around. They will watch TV. They will request the manager to put a particular song. They will discuss about work out. They will gossip. They will constantly look at the clock. For them 20 reps means 10. And when its finally time to leave, they will look even more tired than the hulk.

6.       The Babe – You have absolutely no idea why she is in the gym. But surely after seeing her you will know why a lot of others are so regular in gym. 80% of time of the trainer is usually reserved for the babe and you can see the result too.

7.       The Paying Guest: I am one of them. I paid for an annual membership (heights of optimism) to convert my family pack to a ..err…probably not a six pack, but yeah at least ground zero. I am the one who goes on rare occasions. I am treated like a guest. My instructor has just one question to ask – when am I coming again next time? I always tell him “tomorrow! (read: I have no idea)”. And one fine day, while hogging to some really delicious junk, I burp loud holding my paunch and the feeling of guilt reminds me of my annual membership that I need to use sometimes. Once again I take an oath to visit my gym after…hmm…I don’t remember when I went there last! Life goes on...