Sunday, July 11, 2010

Never say bye, say TATA

Another Corporate Stint comes to an end. It was truly a dream come true for me to work as a Summer Intern with India's Biggest Automobile Compay - Tata Motors. Let me introduce you to the main characters, Mr.Mishra ,my project mentor, he is a Product Manger at Tata Motors, hardly available when needed, has made me wait endlessly, yet has made is presence felt in a Big way!. The guys at the dealers, who made my life hell for 2 months, had to run behind them to get something to fill my report. The Territory managers, who are as busy as stock brocker, whom I thought to bypass completely to access the Dealerships. Mr. Amol, the most accessible Territory Manager, who tried giving me a sneak preview at dealerships and also the organisation. The CRM guys, who got tired giving me reports and finally chose to teach me how to pull the reports as and when I required and finally the bunch of confused, helpless, ready-to-roar, ignored, neglected, creative....(this limits my knowledge of adjectives to be used for MBA students)...interns including me who wondered 24-7 what the hell are we supposed to do, will some one please tell us!?

The first week, I had some sort of corporate vacation inside that plush office at Bandra Kurla Complex. Aaah finally some piece of work, after gulping gallons of free juices, munching sandwiches, dozing off after a heavy lunch, trying to use facebook in that snail-paced Aircel Mobile internet, I was told to do field visits at all dealerships. I still wonder whether this was a tactic to keep me out of office so that other employees donot get demotivated and lethargic looking at me. The Excitement of field work got fried under the hot sun! Travelling from one dealership to other, with my cellphone and ipod. They were there with me through my testing times, when I used to wait for hours to get lazy asses at dealerships moving to give me some crap to analyse and also during the never ending bus-train-rick-train-taxi-bus-rick tales.

After 2 months of slogging, finally managed to collect some amount of information which I could analyse (oh, come on, an MBA must show his importance after all!). But looking back, I can tell that this was easily my best working experience that too in a sector which is so close to my heart. Each time when I was one step away from doing something in automobiles, right from a diploma in auto engg after 10th, BE in Auto Engg after 12th, Auto Design after Engg, Nissan Student Brand Manager during MBA, this compensated for all of them. And I know, this is what I am made for!