Sunday, October 10, 2010

An Odyssey called 'Enthiran'

When you do Internet Booking for a movie scheduled early Sunday morning, you are sure not many would be interested in spoiling their post-saturday extra sleephours. I was disappointed with the show timing, as I was not just going to watch the movie, but to live the experience. But I was wrong. Rajnikanth has once again proved that he doesnt go by the law of nature. For a moment, I partially started believing all the Rajni Jokes floating around the net and sms. This man has made a mob throng the posh multiplex along with their kids, grandparents and even extended families. The ladies made the air fragrant with the garlands of jasmine as their hair ornaments. I felt close to being a proud southie now. It was this experience I wanted to witness and the buzz around hinted me about whats in store ahead.

The doors opened as people rushed in to grab their seats. Within few minutes, the entire audi was full to brim and you would easily mistake it for a theater in chennai. The show began and the men did give AR's background score tough competition with their whistles and hoots. And this was just for the credits at the beginning mentioning the name "SuperStar Rajnikanth". I always used to think that the film is being made on a robot just because you can make Rajni do anything as a robot which was otherwise not possible. But as the movie progressed I realised this was probably the most realistic Rajni movie I have seen in recent times. Shankar had a clear picture in mind when he planned for the movie. Some visually exhilarating songs at exotic locales like machu-pichu and futuristic sets does affect the pace of the excellent screenplay. But then you cannot dissapoint the typical thalaivan follower. He has come there to see this and some more. He whistles when the robo-rajni speaks to a mosquito convincing it to not to bite the dumb-bimbo Aishwarya Rai (the only turn-off in the entire movie). Even the tin-box mini-robot in the movie acts better than her. This woman is the reason in the movie why we got to see all those rajni-robo clones formations. Brilliantly shot sequences towards the climax and breath taking special effects is the movie's forte that even a non-rajni fan should enjoy. I expected less from the movie, but I have to say Shankar has taken Indian Cinema to the next level with all the special effects and a very novel concept. 

Along with this, there was a parallel experience which I was witnessing. My Dad, who has taken me and my bro around when we were kids, was visibly happy to see the reverse of that happening. We ate at the same udupi resto where we had been during our childhood. There I recalled a particular scene in enthiran, when my dad hooted! That moment, I truly felt thankful to rajni and the makers of the movie. If you call Enthiran a movie, it would be an insult. Its an experience. DOT!