Friday, January 28, 2011

Hired!

"Why MBA?" - this is one question that keeps haunting you right since you were preparing for the never ending entrance tests, when you get admissions, when you are studying for the course. You kept lying to yourself that you were doing it for growth, higher degree, value addition and all other blahs that you learnt during the course. But 21st Jan 2011 was the day when I had the moment of truth, I looked at the mirror and I found the answer - "I need a job". I knew that day was different.

Placements is the most emotionally charged event in an MBA college. Especially when you are in a Tier2 college.This is when you actually witness the supply-demand gap you have been learning about. A typical Tier2 MBA student is a 24 something who couldnot crack CAT and with some work-experience which is considered inadequate both in terms of quality as well as quantity by most of the recruiters. This guy is in a dilemma, he waits for something that does justice to his profile, while recruiters feel such profile are not doing justice to their high paying jobs. This is where frustration creeps in. In this frustration, you can witness scenes like people getting ecstatic for not getting selected while you can also see tears rolling down the cheeks for getting selected - Insane!

After being not selected (Although some people like to read it as 'rejected', I prefer this way), for 3 occasions, this time I had mentally prepared to fight to win. This is exactly what I did during, the otherwise very burdening process for me, GD. I started the GD for the first time in my life, there I sensed that 'I have arrived!". There was no looking back after that, I got shortlisted for the PI which was a smooth sail and it did have a happy end with finally getting to hear my name being announced by the Placement Manager as a selection for TCS E-serve! This day I came to  know the real meaning of the statement - "Attitude and not aptitude is what matters"