Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bleed Blue

I was on the internet checking scores on Rediff Scores while the Grand Finale of World Cup 2011 was been seen by my entire family in the Living Room. Why? My Dad wasnt allowing me to watch the match being superstitious. Last time when India-Pak match was going on, I had exams the other day 'cause of which I was checking scores online and not watching it. and India Won. And he wanted my sis-in-law to sit in a particular chair. This is the magnitude of involvement of an average Indian while India is playing cricket. India had reached the finals of the world cup and close to winning it. The entire nation was glued to the television. The roads wore a deserted look. Pubs, Malls, Even housing societies displayed match on the Big Screen,so much that, projector was not available on rent. I saw Sachin and Sehwag go early, so I decided to follow my Dad's instruction and it did work. Gambhir, Kohli, Dhoni all showed the world what the new India is all about. Fearless, Resilient and Bold! The entire nation screamed, cried, hugged, danced as Dhoni hit that final six. You could here crackers for hours and it was like a festival. I was not born when India had become Independent, but I am sure the celebration would have been similar then. India lifted the world cup after 28 years as Virat Kohli and others carried Sachin over their shoulders to parade his home ground. This was indeed a tribute to the little master, a dream fulfilled. As rightly put by kohli, "Sachin has been carrying the burden for more than 20 years now,its time we carry him!" This victory is a sign of the coming of age of a nation with the largest youth in the world, raring to go and prove to the world that we are the champions!